Post Dissolution Name Change Information

In Florida, you can have your maiden name restored in a Judgment of Dissolution of Marriage, which is what a divorce decree is called in the state. You must ask the judge to include the request in the final judgment. Once the judge grants your request, you will need to inform other institutions about the change.

Step 1-Inform the Court

List your full maiden name (First, Middle and Last) on your Petition for Dissolution of Marriage when requesting a maiden name restored. At the time of the final hearing, spell your maiden name clearly and correctly for the judge, to make sure the correct spelling is placed in the final judgment. You can only request to restore your maiden name.

Step 2-Obtain a Certified Copy

Once a final judgment is entered i

n your case, you must obtain certified copies of your final judgment. Please visit one of the Clerk’s Office locations at least 24 hours after the day and time of your final hearing. Main Courthouse in West Palm Beach is open 8am to 4pm Monday through Friday. North County and South County Courthouses are open 8am to 4pm Monday through Thursday. Obtain the certified copies as soon as possible, and no more than thirty days after the date the Final Judgment is signed. If you have not qualified for indigent status, there is a fee for certification and copies.

Step 3- Update your Social Security Card

Update your name with the Social Security Administration (SSA) as soon as possible. You may change your name with the SSA either in person or by mail. You cannot change your name online. You will need:

  • A completed Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5).
  • Your certified name-change document, such as your:
    • Marriage certificate.
    • Divorce decree.
    • Court order.
  • Proof of your identity, such as your:
    • U.S. driver's license.
    • U.S. passport.
    • State-issued ID card.
  • Proof of your U.S. citizenship, such as your:
    • U.S. birth certificate.
    • Certificate of citizenship.
    • Certificate of naturalization.

All documents must be originals or certified copies. Visit the SSA website for a complete list of accepted documents.

Step 4-Update your Driver’s License/Florida ID

If you change your name, you must update your FL driver's license or ID card within 10 days.

NOTE: You must first change your name with the SSA (see the “Change Your Name With the SSA" section above). If you are a non-U.S. citizen, you must have your name changed on your immigration document.

You can change your name in person at any local Florida Division of Driver Licenses office. You cannot apply for a name change online, by mail, or by phone. You will need:


  • Your Florida driver license or ID card.
  • Proof of your U.S. citizenship or legal presence, such as your:
    • Valid U.S. passport.
    • Birth certificate (original or certified copy).
    • Certificate of naturalization N-550 or N-570.
  • Proof of your current name, such as your:
    • Marriage certificate.
    • Divorce decree.
    • Court order.
  • Proof of Social Security number (SSN), such as your:
    • Social Security card.
    • W-2 form.
    • Ineligibility letter from the SSA and 1 document from the list.
  • Proof of your Florida residency (2 documents), such as a recent:
    • Utility bill.
    • Bank statement.
    • School record or transcript.
  • Payment for the $25 fee. See the “Fees to Change Your Name in FL" section below.

All documents must be originals or certified copies.

Please visit the Florida Department of Motor Vehicles for additional information and detailed instructions.

Step 5-Other Institutions

You need to let other institutions and agencies you deal with know your legal name has changed. For example, you will want to change your name on your bank accounts. Every agency or business will have their own procedure to follow. In general, you will need to show them a copy of your divorce decree or new Social Security card.

Post Divorce

If you didn't want to change back to your maiden name at the time of your divorce but later change your mind, you need to file a new petition for a name change that may require filing fees. Please review appropriate Florida statute or visit for additional information.

Family Division